What is my MP's role in Wolverhampton


As an MP, Rob Marris dealt with 24,000 issues at the request of individual constituents in Wolverhampton since he was first elected in 2001. 

Rob can help with all matters for which Parliament or central government is responsible. If you would like support or further information relating to an organisation or elected representative that could help, then please call Rob's office on 01902 907030.

Please note that there are strict rules within the House of Commons that MPs may only act on behalf of their own constituents.

What is my MP's role in Parliament


When Parliament is sitting (meeting), MPs generally spend their time working in the House of Commons. This can include raising issues affecting their constituents, attending debates and voting on new laws.

The UK public elects Members of Parliament (MPs) to represent their interests and concerns in the House of Commons. MPs are involved in considering and proposing new laws, and can use their position to ask government ministers questions about current issues.

Rob Marris was appointed the role of the Shadow Financial Secretary (2015 - 2016) under Jeremy Corbyn MP.  Rob worked closely with members of the Shadow treasury team to hold the Government to account and scrutinise financial legislation. Areas included; EU budgets and taxation, domestic taxation, HMRC, Finance Bill, personal savings and pensions policy.

Since being elected in May 2015 Rob brought one of the most important and well engaged debates into Parliament the 'Assisted Dying Bill' which sought allow terminally ill adults of sound mind to legally choose to have assistance to end their own lives.

Rob founded the APPG for Sikhs and has been reappointed Chair since May's election. The purpose of this group is to support and promote the interests of Sikhs in Britain; to work with British Sikhs to celebrate Sikh culture in the UK; and to ensure full equality for all British Sikhs.

In October 2015, Rob was appointed as a member of the 'Regulatory Reform Committee' in Parliament scrutinising examine and report on: Draft Legislative Reform Orders (LROs), laid before the House under the Legislative and Regulatory Reform Act 2006; Matters arising from consideration of such LROs; and Matters relating to regulatory reform.

How do I contact the office?


The office of Rob Marris MP responds to queries, invitations and constituency problems. There are three ways to contact your MP.

Email Address - rob.marris.mp@parliament.uk

Telephone - Constituency Office: 01902 907030 | London Office: 020 7219  4564

Postal Address -

Rob Marris MP
House of Commons
Rob Marris MP
Kings House 
St. Johns Square
Please Note We do not respond to constituents through social media so; please do not put personal details on Twitter or Facebook! Ensure that you have included your full name and postal address in your email. If not, please resend with this information, as our office cannot reply without it. 

Can I meet with Rob Marris?


Surgeries are held at the MP's office, it is an opportunity for local constituents to meet the MP and his team. 

If you need to see your MP then please call our office on 01902 907030.

We may not always be able to accommodate a meeting with the MP, however our experienced caseworkers can assist you.  Please have your details to hand and any relevant reference numbers.

I have an Immigration/Visa concern, who should I contact?


If your concern relates to issues dealt with by the Home Office, then your MP can assist in some circumstances.

Rob Marris holds twice monthly surgeries at the RMC (Refugee and Migrant Centre) in Wolverhampton by appointment only on a Monday. With such high demand it is important that you are able to explain how your MP can help. Particularly if you have been referred to by a solicitor, please ask them to put in writing how your MP can support your case.

We may ask you to seek legal advice, however the RMC has OISC Level 1 and 2 Immigration advisers who can support your with applications and appeals relating to Immigration, Asylum and Home Office applications.

Remember: Always look for an OISC qualified Immigration advisor, preferably one who is qualified through the 'Legal Aid' system this ensures they are fully qualified and less likely to give you poor advice. 

Remember: Your MP will not write letters of support to the Home Office, they do not help with your application

How can my local Councillor help me?


Your local councillors are responsible for decision making that takes place at Wolverhampton Council and hold local government to account.

You will need to contact your councillors if you have any of the following concerns or problems regarding:

  • Rubbish collection/ recycling
  • Housing Benefit/Council Tax/ Business Rates
  • Council Housing
  • Planning applications
  • Homelessness
  • Licensing
  • Children and Young People
  • Adult and Social Care
  • Leisure services and recreational facilities
  • Parks, open spaces and playgrounds
  • Street cleaning/maintenance 

There is an event in Wolverhampton, can Rob attend?


Rob is in Parliament Monday to Thursday most weeks. Friday, Saturday and Sunday are dedicated to events and meetings with constituents in Wolverhampton.

Therefore to avoid disappointment please give plenty of notice regarding any potential appointments or engagements. Please call the office on 01902 907030 to see if he is available to attend.

I'd like to visit Parliament, what should I do?


To start the process please call Rob's office on 01902 907030. Please remember to have your personal details to hand to speed up the process.

There are three different tours & visits that an MP can facilitate.

Firstly, the Palace of Westminster where a trained guide accompanies you on this tour through the House of Lords, the House of Commons and Westminster Hall. This will last for approximately 75 minutes, available Monday to Friday (permitting business in the house).

Secondly, Elizabeth Tower (Big Ben) A guided tour will take you up the 334 stone spiral steps to the top of the 156 year old Elizabeth Tower to hear Big Ben strike the hour. As well as seeing a spectacular view of London from 62 metres up the tower, you will also go behind the clock dials and have the opportunity to visit the mechanism room to learn about how the clock works in the 21st Century. This will last for approximately 90 minutes, available Monday to Friday.

Finally, attending Prime Ministers Questions. The allocation for tickets is sparse and subject to intense competition, therefore we recommend you contact us well in advance of your intended visit to avoid disappointment. Taking place most Wednesdays at 12.00pm


Is school travel to Parliament subsidised?


Yes - Groups of young people making Education Visits to Parliament from Wolverhampton are eligible for a transport subsidy.

Wolverhampton Schools are eligible for 50% of receipted travel costs, up to a maximum claim of £800. Upon booking an Education Visit, eligible groups will receive confirmation of their booking and a subsidy application form. This form is automatically generated based upon the eligibility of the visiting group.

Please call our office on 01902 907030

Do you offer work experience?


Currently we cannot facilitate this, however in the near future we are hoping to accommodate a volunteer and work experience programme.

Please look back at the website in the near future for more information regarding short and mid-term programmes. 

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.